Um, a little recap, I guess. I can't really think of too much that I've been doing. My friends, Sonca and Sinisa, live in a house and they have a great living room for watching matches and a great backyard for BBQs. I've been spending a good amount of time over there. It's fun! Very summer nights-y and laid back. Especially since my living area consists of the distance between my bed and my desk.
We sat outside at the table and watched TV through the window. Then we realized that was ridiculous and went inside.
Delicious food! We had bratwurst (see how small the Bavarian bratwurst are? They sell them two at a time (ein paar) with a piece of bread), chicken wings, rolls and a super fancy salad that this guy just whipped up really quick. Check out the fancy tomato!
We had another bbq Sunday to watch Germany destroy England. The next round (Germany vs Argentina) is on Saturday, so I'm not sure the plans for that. They always show the matches on big screens downtown, so we might go for that. After Germany won, all the cars were driving around honking their horns for hours.
Here is a silly video that is Germany's official WM song. (WM is Weltmeister (world master), Germany's name for the World Cup)
Sportfreunde Stiller -- 54, 74, 90, 2010 - MyVideo
It's called "54, 74, 90, 2010" which are the years that Germany was world champions (assuming they win this year, haha). This German girl that I met said that last World Cup they had the same song, but for 2006, and right after they lost they changed it to 2010. I wonder if they have a 2014 version ready just in case.
On Saturday, I met up with my friend Thomas from Munich, the one I went to London with. I hadn't seen him since the trip, so it was fun to hang out. He came to Bamberg and I showed him around, and then we went to Nürnberg. We went back to the Nazi rally ground museum, and since I had been there before, I got to be sort of a tour guide. The student becomes the teacher? Haha. On the train, some kid asked me a question in German, even though Thomas and I had been speaking the entire time in English and I had been talking about the most American subjects (US soccer team, 4th of July, Americans at Wimbledon). He thought that I was the German one and Thomas was the American one! It was so funny. I laughed about it all day.
In Nürnberg, the US vs Ghana match was to be on TV right when I was going back to Bamberg. Since it was such an important match, I didn't want to miss it. Thomas had to take a train back to Munich, which is about 2 hours from Nürnberg, but since Bamberg is only 40 minutes away, I stayed in Nürnberg and watched the match at a random Irish pub near the train station. There were a lot of Americans there. The game ended up being really long because it went into overtime and I got back pretty late. Oh well! It was a fun experience even though they lost. Boo! Now I am a Germany fan.
It was really fun to hang out with Thomas! He's really fun and we get along really well. I hope I can see him again before I leave.
Wow! This whole entry is about soccer. Look at me now!

No comments:
Post a Comment